UK Dissertation Forum Forums Dissertation How to formulate a research topic out of a broad research interest?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Williamhax

Hi mates
      I am in the course of pursuing my Masters degree in Anthropology, and now in the second year I am required to submit a proposal, even though my university has briefed us about the particulars regarding the proposal, but I have not been able to chisel out my research topic, my research interest lies in exploring the Gond shrines of Maharashtra located in three different locations (in Maharashtra), the increasing mobilization of Gondi tribe around these areas. Since there are different motives that inform the establishment and reification of these three shrines, it has left me confused as to which strand of it should I go ahead to pursue. I welcome any sort of suggestions.

Amelia Nixon

name Amelia Nixon Email: Nixonamelia56@rediffmail.com
      Hi buddy!! for a proposal, you are required to narrow down your research interest to a concise as well as a precise topic. You would be required to formulate a topic that would answer three questions of ‘Why’, ‘What’, and ‘How’. Following is a helpful resource to help you decide on a research topic: http://pages.ucsd.edu/~jmoore/courses/Parish.html. After you think you have reached that stage then you can go ahead to read around and about the topic or in other words review literature of that topic. This would further provide solidity to your research topic. Attaching here a link to a page that elaborates on literature review formulation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3715443/.

Violet
      Participant

Name: Violet Howdy Email: Violethowdygenius@hotmail.com
      Hey!! Your research interest seems to be a very promising one, I happen to have visited the same area i.e. Maharashtra. If the different locations of the shrine are the main concern then you could look at the very idea of the shrine within the belief system of the Gondi tribe, aligning it with the recent mobilization of the people of the Gondi tribe and what are the underlining motives that inform the establishment of such new shrines.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.